Wednesday, July 15, 2009

(Wo)man's Best Friend

So I spent 2 hours and hundreds of dollars at the Vet today. My lovely lab has an ear infection, arthritis and anxiety for sure and the results of the blood work are still unknown. I felt like the worst doggie mother in America as I looked at her inflamed ears...why didn't she tell me they were hurting? As I tried not to cry and she tried not to drool, I realized that I would walk over burning coals for my pooch. I have had her in my life for six and a half years and I can't even begin to count the number of things she has supported me through.

When my fiance was in Iraq and I would lie awake at night crying, she was there...literally licking the tears from my cheeks for 9 months. When the fiance became the husband and slowly began to verbally abuse and physically intimidate us both, she was there growling at him and shadowing me-my constant protector. The day we left him behind and started over, she was the one riding shotgun, she was the one who sat next to me beneath a tree in a park taking in the brief limbo between our old life and our new one. She jogs with me when I want to be in shape, she lays in bed for days at a time when I'm sick...all of this she has done for me and all she wants in return is to be loved by me! Isn't that amazing! What more could a girl ask for?

When the bill came, I have to admit, I almost lost my lunch! I was really, really glad yesterday was payday! But mostly I was relieved that her red ears and sore joints can be treated and that for now I am lucky enough to have her-my wonderful, slobbery, furry best friend home...happy and (mostly) healthy!

2 comments:

  1. Very touching post. I'm impressed by the qualities you attribute to your dog. You're lucky to have her and I'm glad she's going to be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get how some animals go through what a lot of people would surely call a lot of pain without whimpering/ or giving out a single sign of it.

    Perhaps animals are a lot stronger than humans ~??!??

    ReplyDelete